Cities

Tuesday, November 2, 2010

New York, New York

Casey's Take on the Weekend
 
For my birthday this year Matt gave me a ticket to New York City. It was the best present that I could have asked for because I got to spend three days with Leslie and see her life in NYC. It was made so much sweeter when Tina decided to take the train up (even though it was her first anniversary weekend – thanks, Joey!) I have only been to New York City once with my parents over the holidays (which was awesome), but now I got to experience it with an actual New Yorker.
 
I got my first New York experience when I arrived at Leslie’s apartment at 1:30 a.m. and we went out for a drink at their local bar, The Spotted Pig. You could really see the difference between our two cities that night – people in Milton had been sleeping for four hours, yet in New York the bar was still filled with people and ready to serve! It was a great start to the weekend.
 
The rest of our time was filled with walks around the New York neighborhoods, visit to Ground Zero, shopping, and lots of eating and drinking. Leslie was an awesome tour guide and I already can’t wait until our next trip.
 
It was such a great weekend that the three of us have decided to make this an annual tradition and have a girls’ weekend every fall. We are thinking Chicago, Seattle, San Diego, and wherever else the plane might take us.
 
Leslie's Take on the Weekend
I can't even begin to say how grateful I am for my girlfriends. Sometimes you just need to have those conversations that could last for hours and that laughter that happens only with your best friends when your mantle falls off the wall and all your decorative rocks fall into your couch. I was beyond excited that Matt decided to give Casey a flight to NYC for her birthday...I couldn't wait to have her here and Tina coming was the icing on the cake. Since I've been here I always think "oh, Casey would love that" or "oh Tina would love this place". Living together in Arlington for multiple years made us so close...it was just perfect to have them both here! To make it even better, Nick actually went down to Philly for the weekend and took Cole, so we had the apartment to ourselves and without all the dog fur...haha.
 
When Casey arrived, I drove to JFK and picked her up ad on the way back into the city there is the best view of the skyline at night...I said "welcome to the big apple, case!" There's nothing like the New York skyline to get you ready for a weekend in the city. Tina arrived by train Friday AM which is so easy from DC. I told them that people in new york truly never sleeps and they really got a taste of it on Thursday and Friday night. Thursday night when Casey arrived I took her to a restaurant/bar on the corner of our block...at 1:30am full of people drinking and ordering food...she was surprised to say the least. Friday night the 3 of us were walking home from the bar when some guys asked us at 4am, "where are you ladies going? the night is young!" to which we replied..."um it's 4am, we're going home!" haha.
 
We did lots of shopping, but controlled our buying...although I'm sure Tina is still dreaming about this leather jacket she almost bought ;) I got to show them what it's really like to be a local in nyc and the village by going to some great small restaurants for lunches with drinks, dinner, and wine and more wine. We also did a little lounging at my apartment and got to watch one of our favorite girly shows on dvr.
 
The weather made for a gorgeous fall weekend and as I sent Casey off on the subway to get to JFK, I made sure she had a true New York bagel experience...from the picture you can tell it did not disappoint. I can't wait for our next trip...maybe San Diego!?
 
Here are just a few pictures of our NYC weekend!
 

My first trip on the Subway



Day Margaritas



Enjoying our Sweet and Spicy cocktails



I love the Navy and even found some midshipmen in NYC
Love these girls!


Outside of the best Italian restaurant in the West Village
What part of this picture gives away that these are not our first glasses of wine?


Shopping around NYC!


With the Empire State Building as the backdrop

Brunch at Tartine in the West Village


Sausage Egg & Cheese on a NY Bagel at Murray's Bagels

No comments:

Post a Comment