Cities

Thursday, July 14, 2011

Family Fun

This past weekend we had our first Cali visitors – my brother, Chris, and his fiancé, Meghan. We had a lot to jam into the weekend, but we started with a little celebration for the two. They got engaged a couple of weeks ago and Matt and I haven’t been able to see them since the big question. What better way to celebrate than with Babycakes cupcakes and wine!
 
Side note: Babycakes is a local SD cupcakery that makes ridiculously delicious food. I couldn’t resist and bought six huge cupcakes of all different flavors. Although it is hard to choose, I think that my favorite is a toss-up between mint chocolate and pistachio. I have no doubt that I will be making weekly trips back to test out future cupcake purchases for visitors…(hint: come to SD and I will buy you a cupcake!)
 
While they were here we were able to hit up a few of our favorite restaurants and bars (Craft & Commerce, Maloney’s, In-n-Out Burger, Pappalecco), try new restaurants (Trattoria Fantastica, Old Town Mexican Cafe), visit the Little Italy farmer’s market, make (and burn) brunches, visit the San Diego Zoo, go to the Coronado Dog Beach, and play games. I should add that Meghan and I were victorious and, yes, we remained humble and didn’t gloat at all;) I am exhausted just typing all of that out (and full – did you see all that food?!). Needless to say, it was a great weekend! 
 
One of the hardest parts of being a military family is being so far away from your family and friends. So Matt and I look forward to these weekends more than you can imagine. As sad as it was to say goodbye to Meghan and Chris on Sunday evening, we miss you already, it helps to know that we have a lifetime of these fun times ahead of us. At least that is what I kept reminding myself driving away from the airport stifling tears.
 
We are so excited for them and for Meghan to become a part of our family! And, selfishly, I feel even luckier because now I will have two amazing sister-in-laws. And I am being serious when I say that – I am one of the lucky few that has awesome in-lawsJ
Until next time, love from the West Coast.
 

let's celebrate


the happy couple


punch bowl for four at craft & commerce


despite this valiant effort, they still lost


my favorite brother


great way to start the morning - with raw oysters


sisters-to-be


footsie wootsie at the zoo


family


the weekend wouldn't be complete without massive beers


i heart this guy...


...and this dog.


these did not turn out exactly as expected


meghan's first gelato...hopefully not her last


come back!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment