Cities

Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Sapporo Snow Festival.

Now that spring is finally here and it is warming up I thought it would be fun to reminisce about snow (everyone misses that white stuff, right?!)  In the beginning of February, Sarah and I flew up to Sapporo for the annual snow festival.  I’m not going to write a lot because I will let the billion pictures that I am about to post tell the story, but we froze our tails off while enjoying some of the most incredible snow/ice art that I have ever seen (or probably will ever see), plus visits to a chocolate factory and the Sapporo Beer museum.

The festival has been written up in 1,000 Places to See Before You Die and this is why…     
*some of these are Sarah's pictures that I stole (with permission, of course). 

Oh Japan, I love you.




This car was a block of shaped ice that had the video projected onto it.  
This was ridiculous.
To give you an idea of how big it was - those are the tops of people's heads at the bottom of the picture.
One of the coolest parts of the festival was the team competition where teams from around the world create snow sculptures.  I wonder if these guys prefer snow or sand.


We went snow tubing!


This was a tiny model of the eventual sculpture.

This was Portland's addition to the competition.  I loved it!
I actually think that they were on a lunch break and were finishing up/starting later.






No comments:

Post a Comment