Cities

Sunday, July 20, 2014

A night at the movies.

One of the best things about living abroad is how seemingly ordinary things can turn out to be such exciting adventures – like going to the movie theater, for instance.  Sarah and I recently ventured out for dinner and a movie and were like kids in a candy shop (appropriate because there was actually a candy shop at the movie theater!)  People were staring at us because we kept squealing with delight at every new discovery.  Here is what we discovered...   

There are assigned seats.  We picked our seats when we ordered our tickets online before the movie.  This erases the need to have that awkward conversation where you end up telling people you are saving the entire row for your friends who never show up when they are supposed to.
We had dinner before the movie, but turns out there was no need because Japanese movie theaters offer everything that you can think of – beer, wine, churros, Ben & Jerry’s ice cream, french fries, hot dogs, hamburgers, chicken, and popcorn.

Speaking of popcorn, they have caramel!  They even offer a popcorn bucket that is split down the middle so that you can get half butter popcorn, half caramel.  This blew my mind in the best possible way.
Movie candy is on a whole new level.  There are self-serve candy shops where you can find anything your little heart desires – oreos, gummy worms, jelly beans, pretzels, the list could go on and on.
They serve the food on these little trays that fit into your seat cup holder, so you don’t have to worry about reaching around in the dark to try and find your popcorn, inevitably touching a million mysterious sticky items on your search.

It was such a cool and unique experience.  I can promise you that it won’t be long until I’m again sitting in my assigned seat, eating my caramel butter popcorn, and thinking about how lucky I am to be doing something as simple as watching a movie in Japan.
PS – I’m still working on Singapore pictures.  I will post this week!

2 comments:

  1. Silly question, but I assume the movie was in Japanese?? Maybe with subtitles??

    P.S. that popcorn looked delightful!! I'm such a sucker for movie theater treats! YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not a silly question at all! The movie was actually in English with Japanese subtitles, so it was perfect. They offer a bunch of movies in both English and Japanese. And I just found out that Wednesday is Ladies Night, so I can save money on the movie ticket and spend more of it on candy;)

    ReplyDelete