Cities

Sunday, February 21, 2010

I spy with my little eye...

One of the best parts of living in Corpus is the beach. I can walk from my front door to the beach in two minutes. The beach is not the most beautiful of beaches, but there is sand and waves and salty air. And anyone who knows me knows that these three things are some of my favorites.

Saturday mornings are the best time to be out there. People are running, walking, fishing, surfing, doing beach things. This past Saturday it was 70 degrees with clear skies (I’m guessing Leslie wasn’t having the same weather in the Big Apple…) I put on my running shoes and headed out. As I was finishing up my run, I looked down and saw the coolest thing I have ever seen on a beach…

A STARFISH!!!

Even though I love starfish (hence the starfish-themed wedding), I have never found a real starfish. It was so neat to see one sitting there in the sand. I carefully picked it up and started home to show Matt my discovery. But as I was leaving the beach, I remembered the starfish story.

In the story, there is a man walking along a beach throwing starfish back into the ocean and a second man walks up to him and asks him what he is doing. The first man tells him that he is throwing the starfish back in the ocean so that they will live. The second man looks at him like he is crazy and tells him that there are miles and miles of beach with starfish and he will never get to them and he will make no difference. The first man looks at him, throws one back, and says “It made a difference to this one.”

Isn’t that a great story! I have always been so inspired by that story. And as I was leaving the beach with the starfish held proudly in my hand, I thought, should I throw it back?

In order to feel less guilty, I convinced myself that it had died hours ago and finished my run home from the beach (with the starfish held a little lower and a little more hidden from the other beach-goers – wouldn’t want anyone to think that I was killing ocean life…)

Needless to say, the starfish is now on my back porch and pictured below.

Have a great week!

Love from Texas.





Beach pictures from later that evening...


Sadie's discovery - my shoe


Sunset over the dunes

2 comments:

  1. I love that you finally found a starfish, Case! I'm also cracking up at the differences b/w our posts...you and matt on the beach, nick and I in the snow, haha.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Case! I love this post so much! First, because you finally found a real starfish..what a find. Second, the starfish story is so special to my family. It was the story behind our mission work in Mexico.. "It made a difference to that family."

    I'm also extremely jealous that you can put your running shoes on and go for a run outside....if I did that I would fall in what is now still a foot of snow on the ground!

    Love and miss you all in TX! xoxo Hollis

    ReplyDelete