Cities

Monday, April 26, 2010

Giddy Up!

While in Texas, we are really trying to take advantage of the Texas culture. We are eating barbecue and Mexican, visiting ranches, traveling to San Antonio and Austin, attending local sporting events and festivals, even wearing cowboy boots and belt buckles. This past Friday we really experienced Texas by going to the Corpus Christi Rodeo, Buc Days! Since moving here I have learned that I LOVE rodeos (and I’m not even the least embarrassed to admit it!) I love the idea of country music, rodeo clowns, horses, beer, fried food, and cowboy boots. Needless to say, I had been looking forward to this event for months.

We went to the rodeo with three other friends (Kyle, Amy, and Adam – all students with Matt). With admission to the rodeo, we also got free tickets to the carnival. We enjoyed funnel cake, rides, and barbecue until late into the night. However, the best part was definitely seeing the cowboys and their events. Here is my novice description of the rodeo events that we saw at Buc Days.

Bareback Riding:
This is pretty self explanatory. Contestants ride the horses bareback, only allowed to hold on with one hand.

Barrel Racing:
The contestants race their horses around three barrels set up in various locations around the arena. This is a timed event – fastest time – wins!

Bull Riding:
This is one of the most dangerous rodeo events, where the contestants must ride the bucking bull for at least eight seconds. Sounds easy enough, huh.

Team Roping:
This was my least favorite event, because even though they assured us that it wasn’t cruel, I certainly wouldn’t want to be the calf. The two contestants ride their horses while trying to rope in a racing calf. One team member must rope the horn, head, or neck of the calf, while the other ropes the back legs.

Tie-Down Roping
This was another one of my least favorite events. The contestant and calf are let into the arena. The contestant is chasing the calf and once he ropes him, he jumps off his horse and throws the calf to the ground and proceeds to tie three of the calf’s legs together. Yes, throws the calf to the ground...

Mutton Busting:
This was my favorite event! It is meant for young kids – I’m sure as an introduction into big-time rodeo events. The child is put in a riding position on a sheep, the sheep is let go, and the child must hold on as long as possible before falling to the ground (no worries, the children wear helmets).

Leslie mentioned in her last blog that there are more than a few differences between New York City and Corpus Christi. I would have to imagine that cowboys and rodeos would be one of the main ones! Still, I can’t help but think that I will miss these types of events when we move in a couple of months.

I wish that I had more pictures to share, but I was notified early on that picture-taking was prohibited (after I had already stolen a few pics, see below…)

Loving Buc Days!
Let the games begin...She thinks my tractor's sexyWouldn't be a carnival without funnel cakeTexas has done our bodies goodYum, yum - Texas BBQ

1 comment:

  1. I wish you had taken a picture of everything Matt ate that day...haha, hilarious. i think this is the one TX activity you have done that i just can't get over...i think i would have thoroughly enjoyed it with you while chuckling just a tad ;)

    ReplyDelete