Cities

Sunday, October 17, 2010

Girl Time

One of the hardest parts of moving away from Northern Virginia was leaving my girlfriends. I have the most amazing group of friends (case in point, Leslie, my blog buddy, isn’t she awesome!) In Arlington I always had a friend who was willing to have a girls’ night filled with rom com’s and red wine or get dressed up for a night out on the town (or just another trip to Clarendon Ballroom.) Although living with Matt and Karl is great, they do not have the same appreciation for my Thursday night tv/wine sessions (Project Runway, Grey’s, Private Practice, Real Housewives, Always Sunny - my DVR cannot possibly keep up…) Sometimes you just need a girlfriend and, lucky for me, the past couple of weeks I have been able to have some much needed girl time!
Three weeks ago, Tina came down for a visit. I absolutely loved having her here. Her arrival coincided with the season premiere of all of our favorites shows that we were used to watching together in our little Birchwood apartment. Now instead of BBMing about them (BBM example: What do you think of Heidi’s shag bangs?), we could critique everything from my couch. It was perfect! We spent time at the beach, the bars, and had some Blackwater Bistro pizza! I hated to see her go, but I get to see her in another week, so everything worked outJ
In addition to my fabulous visit, I have also made a great group of friends here in Milton. Ask anyone in the military and they will tell you that one of the best things about being in the service (or married to someone in the service) is meeting new friends. I especially enjoy my military spouses because they understand what it is like to be away from family, to change jobs every six months, and to deal with the sometimes-ridiculousness of the military life. They understand that sometimes you just need a break from it all! And that is exactly what we did this past Saturday night. Four other wives and I booked a hotel room at Pensacola Beach’s newest hotel, Margaritaville! We dressed up, went to a nice dinner, visited the Landshark bar, and spent the rest of the night bonding over drinks in the hotel room. It was a perfect girls’ night from the multiple outfit choices to the risqué dinner conversation that had people staring;) Even though all of us will be leaving here in the next couple of months, it is possible that we could end up in the same area. I sure hope so, because we already have plans to go to Vegas when the boys deployJ
Spending this past Saturday night with the girls made me realize how much I missed my girls’ only nights. Luckily I do not have to wait long until another one because this weekend I am headed to NYC to spend the entire weekend with Leslie and Tina!
PS – Matt and Karl do their best to be my substitute ‘girl’ friends. Karl watches Glee with me and, sometimes, Matt will even judge a Project Runway outfit. Thanks, guys!

At Peg Leg Pete's drinking Bushwacker's


Group shot


Pensacola Seafood Festival

Girls' Night at Margaritaville!


Pre-dinner


I had lobster mac and cheese - LOBSTER MAC AND CHEESE!


Jimmy Buffet's Landshark bar - complete with hammocks and beach bonfires


The view from our hotel room - sometimes it is hard for me to believe that I live here!

No comments:

Post a Comment