Cities

Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Dude Activities

My husband is really a "guys guy". He loves greasy large portioned food, sports, beer, and time with his dude friends. In the past I will ask him if I can hang out with the guys since they're my friends too and he'll reply with a "dudes, dudes, dudes" chant as if that's a complete sentence that I'm supposed to understand.

Unlike the stereotypical man profile, Nick loves to cook and asks for more kitchen appliances than me and he's also semi into fashion and shopping. Still with that being said...he'd rather eat a meatball sub (his favorite food) than risotto and would rather see the phillies play than go shopping for new jeans. Personally I think he's a wonderful balance :)

So when it comes to his birthday, which was last week, I usually try to steer towards sports and his favorite man foods. This year I tapped a little into each of his interests. We went to a restaurant...well I would call it more of a "joint" called 99 Miles to Philly in the East Village. It has philly-style cheesesteaks and pays homage to all things Philadelphia with old sports photos, memorabilia, tastykakes, and they really make the cheesesteak right. They have Amoroso's rolls shipped up from Philly, which according to Nick make the cheesesteak authentic. They ask you if you want American cheese, provolone, or whiz (cheese whiz) and if you want "wit or witout" which means with onions or without onions. So I ordered mine: "One wiz witout"

It's a science people.

Then we shared delicious waffle fries and had some beers at a bar near our apartment with some friends! YES WE HAVE FRIENDS! :D finally.

I got Nick some Phillies pilsner glasses (sports/beer), PF Flyers (fashion), and tickets to the NY Rangers - Philadelphia Flyers hockey game at Madison Square Garden this past sunday (sports). Flyers won 4-2! So there you have it - that's how I attempt to give my husband a great birthday. The only thing missing in my opinion is a birthday cake with candles...he doesn't like cake (crazy!)...so I bought him some sugar cookies from Carlos' Bakery (the Cake Boss bakery) stuck a candle in the middle of a pile of cookies and sang for him...haha. I like traditions so it had to be done.

Love from the city!

99 Miles to Philly


happy bday guy who cut his thumb chopping onions this week...ouch!


flyers vs. rangers


madison square garden


pretty good seats, got them from a guy on craigslist!




the garden..."worlds most famous arena" might be a bit much...what about the Colosseum??

1 comment:

  1. YEAH! for keeping those family birthday traditions. . . cookies and a candle fill the bill :))

    ReplyDelete