Cities

Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Super (bowl) weekend

I had to do it. But really, it was a super weekend. After a relaxing Friday night, I got together with the girls on Saturday and went to the first inaugural Milton roller derby game (or tournament or match, still not sure of the specifics). It was exactly as you would expect – ridiculous (ly awesome)!  Instead of trying to impress you with my newly acquired roller derby knowledge, here is a link to the history/rules/etc.
 
To be honest, I left the derby and still had no idea how points were scored or the difference between a jammer or a blocker. Mostly I enjoyed seeing the pushing, shoving, and attempts to maintain balance while flying around the rink on eight wheels. 
 
One thing that I did learn was to steer clear of the suicide section. Yep, there is a suicide section and it is exactly as it sounds. The Milton roller rink does not have sidewalls, so the crowd creates the barrier. Meaning that there was nothing to stop a barreling girl when she slams into the ground on two roller skates. It was recommended that no children sit in the front row, which I think was probably a good thing. Needless to say, I need to brush up on the sport before the next derby. I am now moving Whip It to the top of my Netflix queue.
 
To cap off the weekend, we had friends over to celebrate the Superbowl. Even though Leslie and my beloved Philadelphia Eagles were not in the game, I figured we still should celebrate over drinks and wings with friends! It was so much fun that it was worth having to chug endless amounts of caffeine on Monday morning.
 
On a side note, maybe Leslie should try roller derby as a way to relieve stress. It seems liked a good way to burn off a little steam. Thoughts…
 

Emerald Coast Rollers




The girls


Superbowl Sangria


Home-made wings, way better than store-bought wings


The celebration continues...


Two is good, but three is better.

No comments:

Post a Comment