Cities

Friday, August 17, 2012

Nesting...aka creating a nursery

Although I'm not one for interior design...I loved creating Baby G's nursery.  It took a lot of time, thought, effort, and many times of telling myself "ok just go with it"....and I love the way it turned out.

I think there is something about nesting with your first child that is special.  We are going from the world revolving around us and whatever Nick and I want to do  (and sometimes Cole) to life revolving around our family of 3 (and Cole, haha).  I think the process of getting all the baby items we need and creating a nursery slowly helps make that transition.  Who knows what kind of nursery we'll put together for our next children, but I'm glad we did this one in full.

We have a two bedroom townhouse, the guest room is downstairs which we turned into the nursery.  I was a little sad to take it apart b/c it was the only room in the house that actually fully decorated...here's what it looked like.







To decorate the nursery, I started with a main source of inspiration. While shopping in Manhattan in SOHO one day, Nick and I passed by this artist selling his pieces on the street.  They were watercolors of different characters and animals.  I loved them and got prints of my favorite 4.  Even though we weren't expecting yet, I thought "one day these will be perfect for a nursery!".  Then I picked some colors...aqua and yellow with white furniture, and finally fabric...the details fell together from there.

Nick helped a lot, especially with putting furniture together, hanging things in the room, etc.  My mom also came up (thanks mom!) to help me put up the fabrics I had ordered, shop for a few things I needed, and put the room together.

shopping at babies r us with my mom

damage.

nick hanging curtain rods and valences.

folding mini clothes :)

putting together a cute playmat!

mom hard at work.

finished closet

relaxation spot.

the cheerful room

Now the room is completely done...we had to get new blinds, fix a cracked window, and add a few more decorative items.  It's so cute!  The crib, changing table-dresser, and the bookshelf in the closet are from Pottery Barn Kids, the chair is Little Castle ordered online from Rosenberry Rooms, the fabrics in the room are all sewn by a woman on Etsy (ModifiedTot), and the butterfly mobile is from an artist on Etsy (LittleDreamersInc).  Everything else was randomly gathered and found...a very fun process!  I love how it came together.

the inspiration...giraffe, pink elephant, round penguin, and turtle


my favorite...the turtle




cute elephant lamp!



oh, hi!  what should we name this guy?



I put together this mobile...hours of stringing butterflies.  Worth it though!



organization :)

friends who are ready to meet Baby G!

toys ready to be played with!

cute nightlight

someone found their spot!

Now we just need a little one to complete the room!

3 comments:

  1. ummm, cutest room ever! and i'm loving the new camera pics. can we please meet baby g now?!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it! It's kind of gender neutral too! I need to get my nursery together now. You've inspired me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks jacque :) can't wait to see your nursery!

      Delete