Cities

Sunday, April 25, 2010

Showered with Love and Cooking with Gas

Lately I have been in the beginnings of the wedding whirlwind, a lot of my free time has been doing wedding planning activities or pre-wedding festivities.

I was telling Casey that I wanted to blog, but haven't been doing anything interesting lately and nobody wants to hear about wedding, wedding, and more wedding. But she said, people just want to know what you're up to...and she's right, so I figured out a good way to talk about it all!

Nick and I have been extremely blessed to have wonderful family and friends who have thrown me a bridal shower and both of us a couples shower in the past month! The showers have been so much fun and made us feel incredibly special.

We also got some great gifts!! This weekend Nick is in Las Vegas on his bachelor party and it's the first weekend I've been in NYC with no plans. So I have been relaxing, spending quality time with Cole, got to see my good friend, Sara, who was in town and COOKED!

For those of you who know me well...I occasionally try to cook and try really hard, but do not always succeed, haha. This weekend I used all my new shower gifts and did alright!

Friday was shrimp scampi and pasta, using our new Calphalon pots and pans, garlic press, lemon press and zester, and my new pampered chef spatula! It didn't have as much "kick" as Casey's shrimp scampi but was really good. I had some wine which I then saved by using my new wine bottle vacuum pump! funny side note - we made Casey's "shrimp scampi with a kick" one of the first times I had Nick over and it was so spicy and hot he was dripping sweat! haha.

Today was the big challenge - I decided to make Boberry biscuits! If you've ever spent some time in the south you know the fastfood chain, Bojangles and their incredible biscuits. I found their sweet blueberry "boberry biscuit" recipe and decided to make them.

Cooking in a kitchen that is approx. 4 feet long and 2 feet wide is not easy. We have a makeshift counter top, a gas oven, and no dishwasher. It's a strategic effort from beginning to end and involves me using a step stool alot! Plus it doesn't help when a 90lb lab is at my feet and thinks there's room for him to sniff around for crumbs. Anyway, I used almost all my new tools: spatulas, hand mixer, pampered chef measuring bowls, whisk, zester...the list goes on and I loved it!!

My boberry biscuits turned out ok, but gas ovens are very tricky...I barely know if it's on! There is also supposed to be a white icing on the biscuits and the recipe said sugar and melted butter, which tasted good but came out clear...oh well.

Now I'm catching up on some tv shows with Cole at my feet after enjoying all my new toys...thanks for showering us with love and kitchen tools :)

Much love from the city!

During


After


Results

2 comments:

  1. Hahhaa - I remember when Nick was sweating from the 'kick'. I will make sure to make that when you visit:) PS - the Bojangles recipe looks delic!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Leslie! In Maine we have a small "urban" kitchen with a gas stove too! I still can't figure out how long to cook things in there. We have a little more space than you guys do in NYC, but I totally understand having no counter space and trying to teach yourself to cook!

    ReplyDelete