Cities

Sunday, June 9, 2013

Mom Time.

Obviously since I'm living with my parents right now, I spend a lot of time with my mom. It's been great to do everyday things together that we've only done on vacations or holidays.  Eating dinner together, going on walks, going to the park, plus some fun outings like visiting her favorite place in Richmond which also happens to be where Nick & I got married, Lewis Ginter Botanical Gardens.

Soon after we moved to Richmond, my mom and I had lunch at Lewis Ginter and walked through the gardens.  It was still pretty cool outside, but the tulips were in full bloom and the gardens were beautiful. I went back to our wedding location to reminisce on that day.  Everything looked the same, but the weather was drastically different...it was about 40 degrees cooler, zero humidity, and there wasn't a summer thunderstorm approaching! I walked over to where we had the ceremony and stuck Waverly right in the spot where we exchanged vows. She just sat and grinned, which made me so happy.

Springtime in Virginia is beautiful...as you can see!

Lewis Ginter Botanical Gardens in prime springtime









Our wedding spot!






teaching her about flowers...

Reception garden...love this house!
I also had my first Mother's Day this year!  It was nice to be treated special. Being a mom is full of so much love, but is also exhausting!  So it was nice of Nick to let me sleep in, give me flowers and a sweet handmade (literally - hand prints!) gift from Waverly.  We had a great day of brunch with my mom & dad at a new restaurant in downtown Richmond, Balliceaux.  They had a DJ playing 50's and 60's jams and Waverly was rockin out.  Check out the video below!  It was also really great to spend mother's day with my mom.  Since I haven't lived in the same town as my mom, I really appreciate being able to easily spend holidays like this with her. She is super supportive, always wants to know what's going in my life, and there has never been a moment when she hasn't been there for me. I'm pretty lucky!

Later that day, Nick, Waverly, and I went to Maymont Park. We walked all over the park and it was nice to explore, but we both felt as if the park could use some much needed love. It has a lot of potential, but doesn't seem to be kept up that well by the city or whoever is in charge. Maybe we've been spoiled by the fantastic parks in NYC??  My favorite part of the day was when a train was crossing and the conductor went really slow and waved to all the kids watching from the park.  I told Waverly, "Look! It's a train! Choo! Choo!"  The conductor waved at us and sounded the horn.  She was mesmerized!







Maymont's Dooley Mansion...I thought this was haunted growing up!

Nick strolling Waverly in the park

Italian gardens

Japanese Gardens!

Japanese Red Maple




Choo! Choo!

Hi!

Being a mom has changed my life in so many ways and I love it.  I always knew I was meant to be a mom, but my sweet, happy baby who is so full of personality makes me sure that this is how life is meant to be.  All the aches and pains of pregnancy and all the loss of sleep or tears cried (by her and me!) vanish when Waverly snugs against me, laughs a big belly laugh, learns something new, smiles or looks at me for re-assurance.

Such a wonderful first Mother's Day.  Love from Richmond!

No comments:

Post a Comment