Cities

Thursday, March 13, 2014

Discovering Bangkok (Day 1).

We spent the last part of our trip in Bangkok – a full 24 hours.  We figured it was just enough time to see Thailand’s capital, right?!  But really, it was the perfect amount of time for us.  We were beyond exhausted, but wanted to take advantage of the short amount of time we had there.  Luckily, there was a street festival happening right in front of our hotel so we just had to walk outside to experience local foods, music, and performances. 

At one point, we were sitting at a restaurant off the side of a back street sipping our ice cold beers and eating our crunchy spring rolls (I am not lying when I said that I ate them at every meal) and I looked around and had so much appreciation for the opportunity to see this crazy beautiful world.   Being in the city reminded me (not that I really needed a reminder) why I love to travel so much.  It had so much energy - from the pushy vendors selling food on the sides of the street to the music drifting out from some tucked away bar; from the vibrant colors that everyone wore showing off their Thai pride to the rowdy conversations of drunken backpackers; from the tuk tuks zooming by in every direction to the mixed aromas of every street food you can imagine.  Being in Bangkok was quite the experience and I’m happy to say that it was a good one!     

Here is our first 12 hours in Bangkok.  









We were told to avoid the protests, which inevitably meant that we accidentally ended up right in the middle of one.  This one was captured from our hotel.


At one point they had a toddler on top.  I was terrified (and judging by the tears, so was the toddler).

My favorite travel partner (and not just because he usually carries everything).
Just puttin' it out there.
The street food that he regretted buying after his first bite.



No comments:

Post a Comment