Cities

Wednesday, June 30, 2010

It's a hurricane (sans vodka)!!!

Hurricane Alex has hit! We might not be getting the eye of the storm, but we are definitely seeing some action here in Corpus. I walked to the beach yesterday to take some pictures and there were already signs of the hurricane. The beach was practically non-existent. The water was all the way up to the dunes and had started crawling up roadways. The surfers were out with hopes of bigger waves. Everyone was out enjoying the last day of their vacations before the storm hit. We made sure to buy lots of water, canned foods, and MREs (not sure what these are, but Matt thought that we needed them – I will eat dry mac and cheese before I touch these MREs!) We watched the news and saw that the hurricane would not hit us directly, but that we would get the outskirts (major wind and rain).

We woke up this morning and it was definitely windy, but no rain. Matt left for work and I went to the gym – still no rain. As I got back and started to take Sadie for a walk, I looked up and the sky had gone black. All of a sudden – torrential downpour and crazy wind! Of course I would get caught in the middle of the storm with my dog, half of a mile from my house. As Sadie and I ran back to the apartment the storm intensified and palm tree branches started flying around us, which made it even harder to run back because Sadie was running after every branch that went flying through the air. We made it back and now I am nice and dry and enjoying some chai tea and the new Jodi Picoult novel, while Sadie runs around the apartment going crazy because she missed out on her walk. Thank you, Alex.

We are currently under a tropical storm warning and tornado warning. This is just the beginning, so I am taking lots of pictures and I will be sure to post another update soon!

PS - Just lost power for the first time!
PPS - Can you tell I'm completely fascinated by this storm. First career choice - librarian, second - tornado chaser (bring it on, Helen Hunt!)




Where are all of the cars...


MREs - the colorful packaging really makes them seem more appetizing - don't you think

Taken from our porch last night, Alex was rolling in

Taken this morning, note the palm trees


Roxy the Wrangler getting pounded by rain


I was in a hurricane!


View from our balcony, 30 mins ago.


Caught in the rain...

1 comment:

  1. a hurricane without vodka can't taste very good....loving the pictures, loving the storm and all your prep! stay hunkered down and teach sadie some new tricks, that will wear her out. cole would be chasing those sticks too...haha. keep us posted!

    ReplyDelete