Cities

Monday, September 30, 2013

Shipping up to Boston.

For those of your who aren't familiar with the title of this post...let me enlighten you with this song by the Dropkick Murphys. Ring a bell? The Departed?

Anyway. We shipped up to Boston over a week ago for my niece, Caroline's 3rd birthday and christening. I was so excited to go visit them since it had been a year since we were last at their house in Boston.  I was also excited to head north and travel!  It felt like fall in Boston and the weather was perfect.  I think I'm still getting used to the warm Virginia fall weather.

It was Waverly's first flight and Nick was traveling for work in St. Louis, so I flew with her alone and met him there.  You may think I'm crazy, but I was so excited to travel with Waverly.  I had a game plan and was prepared for the airport and the flight.  My bag was stuffed with new books, favorite little toys, snacks, milk, a pacifier, and her blankie. She is not huge into the iPhone or iPad (which is by design) so I knew those weren't going to help us much.  The Richmond airport is so easy....1 terminal and fairly empty so we were at our gate with enough time to scarf down some dinner pre-flight.  Our flight was completely full, but I really lucked out with a super nice guy sitting next to me.  He played with Waverly, didn't mind when she kicked him in the arm, and even took it in stride when some yogurt smoothie went flying.  She was a good little traveler, but she wouldn't sit still for more than 3 mins.  She was climbing all over me, looking out the window, and playing peek-a-boo with the lady behind me.  Even though I was a disheveled mess by the end of it, we made it to Boston without any tears, screaming or pooping.  (I was crossing my fingers for 0 in flight diaper changes)  On the flight home Nick was with us, so she could climb all over both of us.  No major tears on the flight home either, but it was a 6am flight so she was super tired and couldn't get comfortable.  She also came down with a cold toward the end of our trip...yuck.

ready to go!

maybe this is where she got her cold germs??  i had to let her get some energy out!

get me on that thing already!

yay!

playing with the lady behind us.
Our long weekend in Boston was so great.  We had lots of quality time with our family.  Friday we took Waverly to the Wellesley library for story time and then I got to see Caroline's pre-school which was so cute!  It's a parent co-op preschool and looks exactly how you would imagine a preschool to look! Caroline showed me her cubby, the indoor sandbox and some of her artwork on the wall. Saturday we celebrated Caroline's birthday and went out to dinner and then on Sunday Caroline was christened.  I was asked to be her Godmother which made me feel very special!  Shannon made tons of delicious food on both days. Roast chicken, birthday cake, nectarine tart...all made from scratch and so good!  My parents, my Aunt Susie, and Shannon's family were there for both parties, so when I wasn't feeding or running after Waverly I had some good family visits!




Andy, Caroline, and Shannon



she LOVES balloons


Granddaddy and Waverly after Caroline's christening
Caroline and Waverly had a blast playing together...Waverly loves her big cousin. She wants to follow Caroline everywhere and do whatever she's doing.  It is so much fun to watch them play and they seem to get better and better at sharing and playing together as time goes on.  In fact after watching Caroline run around, Waverly decided it was time to walk!  She has been taking steps for about a month, but not actually walking.  She started walking in Boston!  We were all really excited.

breakfast time








On Sunday night we managed to go into the city and see our close friends Natalie and Trace.  They recently bought a condo and moved to South Boston.  We last saw them at our friend's wedding in May at the Greenbrier Resort in WV when we shared a hotel room together and partied late into the night...yikes. We always have so much fun together and wish that we lived closer! During our visit they took us on a stroll along the water in their neighborhood which was so nice.  They have a water view from their place and have a great city home.  I loved getting into the city and have a tinge of jealously for their urban lifestyle.  They grilled dinner for us and Waverly toddled around their house and got into everything.  As the "I'm tired" whining began, we left and I felt like it was too short of a visit without enough wine and time to chat.  Such is life with kids.

Natalie & Trace's backyard...well, across the street.

a beach in the city!

We may not be a train ride or drive away anymore, but at least we have a 1 hr direct flight!  Till next time Boston...love from Richmond!

No comments:

Post a Comment