Cities

Friday, July 13, 2012

Matt's Back!

One week ago - Matt returned from deployment.  We had our first homecoming ceremony last Thursday and it did not disappoint.  The ship was welcomed home with banners, balloons, flowers, kisses, and hugs.  Matt was welcomed home with sloppy Sadie kisses, cupcakes, craft beer, and lots of love. 

There is nothing quite like seeing someone for the first time after months of being apart.  I have tried to write what it was like – the anticipation, the butterflies, the nerves, the excitement – but words don’t do it justice.  If I had to choose one emotion that stuck out from the rest it would be pride.  I was so proud of Matt seeing him in his uniform coming home from serving our country, proud of myself for making it through this first deployment, proud of all of our family that has served in the military and have been through these homecomings time after time, proud to be standing among the families (spouses, children, parents, siblings, etc.) that have sacrificed time and moments with their loved ones, and I was proud to be an American (I know, I know...cue Lee Greenwood) standing there among all of these young men and women that chose a life in the military.  I hope that I never forget that moment and the sense of pride that came along with it. 
As far as deployment goes, this was the first of many.  There are plenty of moments that we will not be able to share together, but there are many that we will and that is what we chose to focus on.  We have become stronger because of this deployment.  We have a better appreciation for each other and our time together.  It is funny – the things you miss – walking Sadie together, making dinners, pizza and wine nights, Sunday tea. This week we will fill our time with these everyday routines – these things that we so often take for granted.  We will be together – again!
Here are a few homecoming shots...
his ship is coming around the corner
it's back!
raising the flag
i spy with my little eye - my husband!
look closely and that is matt saluting the flag
love it.
welcome home margs!

1 comment:

  1. Yea, Matty! So glad you're back! Leslie & Case, I tagged you as fabulous bloggers on my blog. Cue the cake and clowns!

    ReplyDelete