Cities

Sunday, November 18, 2012

Pinterest Challenge: Thanksgiving Burlap Banner

Since we are hosting Thanksgiving dinner this year I wanted some fun decorations to put up in the house.  However, I found that it is nearly impossible to find Thanksgiving decorations in the stores - the choice is usually between discounted Halloween items and Christmas decorations.  So, it was up to me.  Here is my attempt at a little Pinterest Thanksgiving decorating.

Here is the inspiration:
 
Thanksgiving mantle
Pinterest
And here is my attempt:

My version
And the process for getting from one to the other:
The only thing that I had to purchase was the burlap from JoAnn Fabrics.  I bought the cheapest burlap, plus it was Veteran's Day so I got even more money off with a military discount.  I bought 3 yards for $7.00 (yes, I will be making a lot more of these banners).  I already had paint, a paintbrush, and yarn from an earlier DIY project.  I also used my Cricut (an amazing crafty gift from Matt a couple of birthdays ago) to make the stenciled letters.  If you don't have a Cricut, these stencils can be purchased cheaply at Michael's, along with the paint, paintbrush, and yarn.  
Step 1:
I eyeballed the size triangle I wanted to make for my first flag.  I used this as a template for the rest.
Step 2:

I stapled about a 1-inch flap for the yarn.  You are supposed to sew this, but since I can't sew I came up with an alternative.
Step 3:


I strung all of the flags together.  I found it easier to do this before painting.  Before or after would work.

Step 4:

I used my beloved Cricut to make the stencils out of cardstock scrap paper .
Step 5:

All the stencils.
Step 6:

It is important that the stencils lay flat against the fabric so that the paint doesn't bleed . There were many suggestions on how to do this.  I used Matt; he is a keeper.
Step 7:

Paint over the stencil.

Step 8:

Here is the result when you remove the stencil.
Step 9:


Allow time to dry.  I'm not sure why this picture is loading like this, but you get the point.
 Step 10:


Hang and enjoy!
Happy Thanksgiving!

No comments:

Post a Comment