Cities

Monday, January 28, 2013

It's So Hard to Say Goodbye...

I tried, I really tried, not to reference Boyz II Men in that title, but I just couldn’t get away from it.   The song has been stuck in my head since I thought to write this post and it just won’t quit (cue MC Hammer).  Okay, back to it.

Rarely have I been able to say that the timing of our military moves has made things easier.  We are usually given two weeks notice which results in begging the landlord to let us out of our lease, marathon cleaning sessions, hurried goodbye lunches because the movers are coming in 10 minutes, and throwing leftover household goods in the car to share a backseat with Sadie for the next 16 hours.

I am happy to say that the Navy has really come through on this international move.  We were told ahead of time when we would be moving – what a luxury!  Well, we don’t actually have an exact date yet, but I am happy with a general time frame.  Because we knew when we were moving, we could make plans.  And, oh how I love to make a plan!

Matt and I decided that the best thing for me to do was to quit my job before the holiday break.  Then when we went home for Christmas, I would stay home for a couple of weeks to say goodbye to friends and family. 

It is impossible to tell you how much this time meant to me.  It meant one more Cracker Barrel breakfast with family, tea with my grandparents, puzzles with my brother, scrapbooking with my Mom, technology lessons with my Dad (thanks for teaching me Twitter, Dad!), telestrations with cousins, late night talks with my sis-in-law, wine-filled DVR sessions with my best friends, a weekend getaway with 10 of the most amazing girlfriends, and sweet new baby smells. 
  
So thank you, Navy, not only for the amazing adventure that you are sending us on, but for the time to say goodbye.












1 comment:

  1. Great post....love all the pictures of your month long east coast trip! Love that this move is starting off smooth for you guys.

    ReplyDelete