Cities

Friday, March 1, 2013

missing new york

It has been 16 months since we moved and I miss New York City so much.  Everyday I think about living in New York or compare things to New York.

Moving out of the city and into New Jersey was necessary for my job and because we wanted to start a family.  Our apartment was too small for another book much less a baby. Plus at that point both of our jobs were in NJ, so it made more sense for us to leave the city.  BUT I was really sad to leave...and I miss it all the time.

city livin
I think it's mostly the food and the constantly changing lifestyle that I miss.  NYC is always updating itself with the latest trends when it comes to shopping, restaurants, and making city living easier.  I loved the "pop up" shops and restaurants, food trucks, grocery delivery, dog friendly activities, fabulous fashions, and the ability to get unique clothes or gifts for a steal.  There truly is no place like New York, so I have told myself to stop comparing.

We could live there forever, but we would only be able to have 1 or 2 kids (who would share a room) and would have to pay for so much of their recreation...and of course school. That's the thing about New York, your kids would grow up with some awesome experiences, but without being able to ride their bike down the street or build a fort in your backyard.  SO maybe one day we will own a pied-à-terre and we could go up there during the fall (best time to visit the city), around Christmas, and other times of the year.  (I'm dreaming here)


future nyc condo??  we love exposed brick!

Until then we will save our $$ for a trip every year where I hope we can get our fill of the city within a couple days.  I also keep up with lots of things in NY...I follow the changing colors of the Empire State Building because it's always for a cause or event going on in the city.  I also read the NY Times or Post and keep up with a comedian-journalist, Ben Aaron who does tv segments on one of my favorite NY shows, NY Live.  He is super silly and always makes me laugh.

Here are some funny videos by Ben Aaron:

New York is not that miserable.

The newest item that Mayor Bloomberg is banning

Ben at the Westminster Dog Show

Shrinking Little Italy

I also follow a couple NYC blogs and recently found this article that reminded me that it's not where you raise your children, but how.  It made me smile.



Love from Alexandria!

No comments:

Post a Comment