Cities

Thursday, April 4, 2013

Our new home.

We have lived in our new home for almost two weeks.  Two weeks of unpacking, Ikea building, frame hanging, and curtain shopping.  Two weeks of wondering why I packed so many lamps and not enough towels.  But that is the case with all moves – what makes sense at one destination might not at the next. 

I am still in the process of settling in, but things are feeling more normal every day.  Some fun discoveries that I have made about the house so far:
  • Never having had a gas stove before, I didn’t understand the gas man who explained the process to me (it might have had something to do with the fact that he didn't speak English and I don’t speak Japanese).  For a few days I turned the main gas line on and off every time that I used the stove.  Finally, Matt asked me what I was doing and I explained the process to him.  Needless to say, I now realize my mistake.
  • Sadie does not love wood floors.  The house is a constant slip and slide for her.  That being said, she definitely gets around the place faster than anyone else.
  • Not only is the kitchen purple, but it is built for a much shorter person than me.  The sink and counter tops can only be reached at a low hunch.  Luckily, when I turned 30 I invested in a heating pad.  What makes this more interesting is that the cabinets were apparently built for Kareem Abdul Jabbar.  They are impossible to reach without a step stool.  The whole thing just confuses me and makes me sore.
  • I never knew how much Sadie shed.  Carpet really does hide everything, which now that I think about it, is disgusting.  We have started researching roombas. 
  • All of our appliances have buttons in kanji (Japanese characters). This makes laundry fun.
With all that said, we love our new house.  We love our new neighborhood.  And we love that we are all together again.  I look forward to sharing more pictures of our place with actual furniture.  Until then, here are the before pictures.

PS. Can I just add that I am so excited for Les?!  Can't wait to see what the next move brings them and the blog:)

Home sweet (more permanent than temporary) home.  

The best part of the house - our purple kitchen.
The living room.
More of the living room.
The shower room.  More on that later...
Room 1.

Room 2.
Room 3.

Entry.

No comments:

Post a Comment