Cities

Monday, August 30, 2010

As long as I'm reading,



I’m at home. -George Forman
This quote rang especially true for me this summer. Between the move, job changes, vacations, and house hunting, there was one constant between the months of June and August. Books! Those who know me best know that I am never without a book. You never know when you might be stopped at a red light and you have time for just one more page. Or there is a long line at the grocery store and you can squeeze in a short chapter.
Since I am very obvious about my love of reading (I even carry around a tote that says “I have always pictured paradise to be some kind of library.” I know, I know. I’m a dork.), people are always asking me for good book recommendations. These are my favorite requests! I thought that I would take some time and share some of the books that I have been reading this summer. Even though summer is coming to an end doesn’t mean that we still can’t enjoy beach reads. We just might be reading them with a cup of hot tea cuddled up on the couch, rather than while sipping a Corona with our feet in the sand.
Without further ado, here is my list. (J means I highly recommend it!)
  • Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen J
Fun fact: This is going to be a movie with Reese Witherspoon and Edward Pattinson.
  • Fly Away Home by Jennifer Weiner
If I had to compare it to a movie, I would say to wait until it comes out on video. So in book terms, wait for the paperback.
  • Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet by Jamie Ford
If you like historical fiction and reading about WWII, pick this one up for a quick read.
  • Heart of the Matter by Emily Giffin
If you are an Emily Giffin fan, pick this book up. If not, skip it.
  • The Memory of Running by Ron McLarty J
Fun fact: This book took off in popularity due to a review by Stephen King.
  • The Virgin of Small Plains by Nancy Pickard
I discovered this author by randomly picking up a book on display at my local library (which I love!) This is a fun murder mystery (not sure if fun and murder go together…but you know what I mean.)
  • Band of Brothers: E Company, 506th Regiment, 101st Airborne from Normandy to Hitler’s Eagle Nest by Stephen Ambrose J
Millions fell in love with the HBO-miniseries, but how many of you read this book. It is amazing to hear the true stories of these soldiers. It was just my luck that the day after I finished reading the book, FX had a Band of Brothers marathon!
  • Chelsea Chelsea Bang Bang by Chelsea Handler
I’m obsessed with Chelsea Handler. I think that she is the greatest thing since sliced bread. She is one raunchy woman and I love her. If you are a Chels fan, then pick up this book. I didn’t like this one as much as My Horizontal Life but you’ll still have some good laughs.
  • The Road of Lost Innocence: The true story of a Cambodian Heroine by Somaly Mam J
This is a real eye-opener about the sex slave industry, not only Cambodia, but in the rest of the world. You will be shocked by her story.
  • House Rules by Jodi Picoult J
I will always recommend Jodi Picoult because I happen to love everything she writes. This novel did not let me down! Even Leslie will like this one because it is not depressing like The Pact. She refuses to read Jodi Picoult because she was too upset by the ending of that book, but I think that this one might win her over.
As you can see, I have been busy with my summer reading. I hope that you find something that you might like. If you are a reading a good book, please comment and let me know! If you are not reading a book at all, you are missing out! There are sooooo many good ones out there. If you want to follow along with what I’m reading, join the world’s biggest book club, LibraryThing (http://www.librarything.com/) and look for me (kclynne52). It is free to join and you can track what you read.
And now I’m off to finish reading my current book, A Reliable Wife by Robert Goolrick.
Happy readingJ




A couple of my favorite things...books and beer
Ahhh, what is there not to love about summertime

2 comments:

  1. i love this post casey! i think you should make it a regular blog post! i'm going to try to read a few of these. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVED reading this entry. . . want to comment on a few but back to school this week :)) so catch ya on the wkend.

    ReplyDelete