Cities

Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Florida!!!

So, like I said in the earlier post, we made it to Florida. Let’s see if I can give you the short version of our trip:
Went on a family vacation to Ocean City, Jersey (yes, the Jersey shore) for a week, left Matt to do all the moving himself (not a bad deal for me, not so good for him), came back and all the stuff was gone besides the air mattress (which, thanks to Sadie, had a hole in it after the first night), spent all day Sunday cleaning, left Monday morning for a 14 hours car trip to Florida (2 cars, 3 plants, and a dog), spent the night in Baton Rouge, arrived in Pensacola, Florida on Tuesday, July 20th, checked into the lodge and spent the next 10 days living in a hotel room. I think that about sums it up. Except forgot to mention that I left my cell phone in Jersey and we moved to Florida without a place to live. For someone who likes to plan, this was incredibly difficult.
So during those 10 days being cooped up in a hotel room with the dog and plants, Matt started helicopter training and we house shopped. We had an awesome realtor (if you are ever moving to Milton, Florida – let me know and I will give you her information) and we were able to find an incredibly house within 4 days. We live in a 4-bedroom house with our friend, Karl. It reminds me of when I lived with Leslie and Nick and sang “Three’s Company” all the time. But in all seriousness, it has worked out perfectly. Karl has two rooms – his room and the man cave (or dedicated Call of Duty room) and we have two rooms – our room and the “please come visit us” guest room. It took a while to get settled down, but we finally got our stuff (minus one box and one broken chalkboard) and it has started to feel like home. Matt is now going to class every day and I am on the hunt for a job.
Overall, I really like Milton and have already made good friends. We miss Texas (mostly the quick walk to the beach and the Mexican food), but we are really happy to have made the move. More to come later on the job search and the perils of living in an actual house (we bought a lawn mower!!!)
Here are some pictures from our trip and first days in Florida.

Look who is sneaking a sip of my last beer in Corpus


Baton Rouge


"Come and knock on our door" and if you do we will bring you to the famous Mcguire's Irish Pub for an Irish Wake out of a mason jar!


The Swartzes - one year later (at Peg Leg Pete's - an awesome Pensacola Beach bar)


She swimming at the Dog Beach (my new favorite place and incredibly awesome in this extreme heat)!!! Water quality is questionable, but she loves it!


Our new living room - don't you love the furniture. It is part of my beach decor;)



Home sweet home (at least for the next seven months)


We love Florida!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment