Cities

Monday, August 23, 2010

Jobs and Pickles

Now that the big move has taken place, the next adventure begins. My big job search. Since we should only be here until February/March, I am not looking to work in the school system. My conscience will not let me start in a school when I cannot complete the school year. Plus, the county that we live in is incredibly small and I was told that librarians only leave when they die or retire, so my chances were not good from the start.
Therefore I have determined that I am going to get a fun job for the time being. My job search started with Fleet and Family Services on base. This is a really good service that the Navy offers to help family members adjust to their new surroundings. They have a lot of different programs, but one of them is job placement. They connected me with a local staffing agency. I went to the staffing agency, took my drug test and Microsoft Word proficiency testing and left three hours later without a job and crying because I was depressed that I was in a situation where I had to go to a staffing company. It really wasn’t that bad, but it was just one of those days.
Next, I checked out places online. I called every medical office, dentist office, eye doctor, and coffee shop in town. Nothing.
Then I had Matt drive me around town so that I could get numbers off of billboards and office signs to call and see if there were any job openings. Nada.
Finally, I consulted Craigslist, Monster, and my friends. I found some jobs and applied. And that is what led me to the chimney cleaning company. You read that right – chimney cleaning – as in Mary Poppins. So I had my first interview! Long story short, I was offered the job, but didn’t think that it was the right fit for me. Give me a call if you are interested in the long story, because it is a good one! So I was back at square one – jobless.
Finally, as I was just about to give up and was getting used to the idea of staying up late and sleeping in, I got the call. Turns out the staffing company was a good thing. They were calling me with an offer to be a temporary receptionist at a local Hospice. Right now the position is only for four weeks, but my fingers are crossed that it will turn into something more. My first day was today and it was great! So, at least for another four weeks, the job search is off. And then, back to the coffee shop idea.
One nice thing is that in all my free time I have been able to work on my cooking. My newest venture is pickles! I am very proud of my pickles and have them pictured below (say that three times fast).
Until next time, love from Florida!


Check out those pickles - both chips and spears!


All homemade and delicious - pickles, egg salad, and salsa! Yum, yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment