Cities

Monday, February 11, 2013

Moving Day (s)

Today we begin the first of three moves – well, one move – but with three different packing days.  That’s right – three.  All of this in order to get our little 900 (okay, that is being generous) sq. ft. apartment all the way to Japan.

I have fooled everyone into thinking that I am prepared and ready for the moves.  I did this by coming up with a sticker system.  See below…


Don’t all those colors make me seem organized?!  But really, I am not ready.  I am running around like a madwoman trying to decide what stays and what goes.  And if it is going – what move it should go with.  And I’m changing my mind every 5 minutes.  And Matt is working.  And I haven’t started anything yet because they are trying to sell our condo and had showings all last week.  And my dog feels the need to jump on everyone that walks through the door, including the movers.  This is what a military move is like – organized chaos.  Okay, maybe just chaos.

Wish me luck!

And if you are interested, here is a breakdown of our moves:
  • Express shipment: This is for our clothes, a few dishes, some pots and pans, and our skis (yes, we have determined that the skis are that important to us).  This shipment should get there a month after us.
  • Household goods: This is for the rest of our furniture, dishes, pots and pans, and anything else that I didn't convince them to take on the Express shipment.  This shipment should get there two months after us.
  • Storage: This is for the stuff that we don’t think will fit in our new Japanese place.  In reality, it is everything.
  • And just for fun we have to figure out what we want to take with us on the plane to last us the entire month until our Express shipment gets there.  Did I mention that it is freezing in Japan (at least for spoiled San Diegans) and that we each only get to take two 50-pound bags?  I think that I’m most excited for this decision making process.

No comments:

Post a Comment