Cities

Friday, February 22, 2013

We made it!

After sitting in the San Diego airport for 6 hours, a 12-hour plane ride and 2-hour shuttle ride, we finally arrived at the base in Japan three days ago.  We were not only happy to be in Japan, but I am not sure I have ever been happier to see a bed.  We were greeted by a couple of families that have been here for a few weeks.  They knew just what we needed – some gyozo (actually a Chinese food item, but very popular here), a little chu-hi (Japanese alcohol drink), and our pillows.  I can’t tell you how much it meant to us to have such a warm welcome after such a long day!  Of course, before I could even express my gratitude, I was asleep.

The next day we were on an adrenaline high.  I was walking around thinking “I can’t believe we are finally here – this is so incredibly awesome!  We are so lucky to have this experience.”  The second day we were walking around and I kept thinking “What the hell were we thinking moving to Japan?!  We are so out of our element!”  And now, on our third day, I have reached a happy medium. 

I know that there are going to be days when I am exhilarated by the adventure of living in a new country and there are going to be days where I am frustrated by the unfamiliarity of everything.  But I am determined to be present and enjoy the moments as they come – such as eating conveyor belt sushi on our second night here, riding the train for the first time yesterday, saying ‘arigato’ for the first time and being understood, and the many more unique experiences that we have already had in just three days. 

As far as jet lag, we have been told that it takes about a week to get used to the time change.  The first morning I was up at 2:45 am, the next 4 am, and this morning 5 am.  Matt has been a little luckier and has slept until 5 am each morning.  We usually fall asleep around 9 pm.  We are trying very hard not to take naps and so far have succeeded.  All of this is to say that I am barely aware of what I am even typing right now, so if it makes no sense at all, I blame the time change :)     

Hopefully I can update you over the next couple of days on our flight (amazing), the Lodge (our temp home), our house search (ongoing), Sadie (what a trooper!), and what everyone is really wondering about – the food (definitely some adventurous eating going on over here!)

Until next time, love from Japan.

Japan.

1 comment: